Humidity regulation in gas distribution stations
External dehumidification systems for drying Ex zones
In gas distribution stations, the pressurized natural gas must be depressurized in order to be fed into the local grid. As a result of the pressure reduction, the pipeline cools down extremely due to the evaporation enthalpy so that the dew point of the ambient air is not exceeded throughout the year. Condensation water and icing occur. In this case, a dehumidification system installed outside the Ex zone provides protection for the building structure, metal parts and electronic equipment.
The consequences of condensation water and high humidity levels in gas distribution stations are well-known – and expensive: corrosion of pipes, stairways and other metal parts as well as moisture-related failures of the control electronics may entail incalculable costs. If you want to prevent this from the outset, investing in a professional dehumidification system pays off.
The solution: dehumidifiers with recirculation or ventilation mode installed externally
Since for technical reasons there are no dehumidifiers for gas Ex zones, the only solution for gas distribution stations are devices installed outside the potentially explosive area. As regards the operating mode, there are two options:
- Dehumidification in recirculation mode (pressure-neutral) in combination with monitoring equipment such as a gas detector. Benefit: slightly lower energy demand.
- Dehumidification in ventilation mode (excess pressure). Here, the energy demand is slightly higher, but it is ensured that the required minimum quantity of fresh air is maintained in the station.
The Trotec Group implements dehumidification systems in gas distribution stations with the mobile desiccant dehumidifiers of the TTR series marked with "D". Owing to the simple air quantity setting option "Duoventic", they can be used for both scenarios. TTR 400 D and TTR 500 D operate on the TTR Trisorp Dual principle with two separate air flows and separate fans for each circuit. In addition to the ventilation mode with dried fresh air from outside, this also enables the recirculation mode. This way it can be guaranteed that the gas distribution station is kept continuously dry.
Industrial services: safety in the Ex zone due to trial operation
Thanks to the Trotec industrial services team the implementation of a safe dehumidification concept around the Ex zone of the gas distribution station is ensured: If necessary, we will test the functioning of our solution with mobile devices and only install the stationary systems after a successful trial phase. Thus, not only the humidity but also your budget will be kept under control as there will be no unexpected retrofits.
In order to safeguard your profit-earning capacity in case of machine failures or during temporary peak demands TKL, Trotec Rental Division and Europe’s leading equipment hirer, lends their support with more than 10,000 rental appliances and a quick 24-hour delivery service. You can for instance rent:
- Dehumidification units such as desiccant dehumidifiers or industrial dryers
- Heating devices e.g. electric heaters or oil heaters
- Air conditioners, humidifiers, air purification units and odour neutralisers
- Fans, also with Ex-protection, or wind machines
- Thermal imaging cameras
In our TKL rental portal you can find rental appliances of all performance classes at a favourable price!
Upon request, we will readily produce tailor-made desiccant dehumidifiers as special models “made in Germany” perfectly geared to your needs, e.g.:
- TTR industrial desiccant dehumidifiers with hygienic design
- TTR industrial desiccant dehumidifiers for PWIS-free dry air
- TTR industrial desiccant dehumidifiers with extremely low dew point
Makes use of the possibility of having special models with tailored components for your individual needs planned, designed and manufactured in close consultation with our specialists.
Click here to find out more ...