Ultrasonic measuring devices for the detection of compressed air leaks
Leak detection in compressed air systems via ultrasound: With the ultrasonic measuring devices from Trotec
Using ultrasound to find compressed air leaks and detect signs of wear at an early stage
In case of leaking gas even a tiny point of leakage in the compressed air line is sufficient and leads to increased friction, generating a sound inaudible for humans in the ultrasonic frequency range. Wear abrasion at movable machine parts becomes noticeable in the same way.
Tightness tests with ultrasonic transmitters
Compressed air is one of the most expensive types of energy. However, 30 to 40 % of the consumption is often lost to leaks. Using the SL3000 you can detect such leaks in an extremely easy way, and thus immediately save energy with every leak that has been eliminated. Even pressurized gas lines can be quickly examined for leaks using ultrasound. Moreover, the SL3000 effectively solves numerous tasks related to preventive maintenance. Without having to interrupt the ongoing operation, you can regularly test system parts and rotating machines for signs of wear using ultrasound, which allows you to detect potential damage at an early stage.
Using the ultrasound measuring instrument SL3000, you can also check windows, doors and other parts of a building for tightness in a quick and easy way. An ultrasonic transmitter is positioned inside the closed room. Then, the outdoor area is inspected using an airborne sound probe. The ultrasound generated by the transmitter escapes at leaky spots and can be detected by the SL3000. This method can also be used for inexpensive tightness testing in other pressureless systems such as cabins, heating cabinets, air conditioning units or tanks. Apart from the ultrasound measuring instrument SL3000, all you need is an additional ultrasonic transmitter such as Trotec's SL800T.
Easy detection of the smallest leaks and leakages
With this professional ultrasonic detector set you can locate leakages in compressed air supply networks, plant systems and at concealed pipelines quickly and inexpensively without contact even from a distance of several metres.
Model calculation for leakage losses in compressed air systems
Large amounts of air permanently stream out at high speed even through the tiniest leaks in compressed air systems, resulting in considerably higher operating costs:
|Leak dimensions||Escaping air volume at 8 bar||Energy loss**|
|* If operated 24 hours a day throughout the year.
** Owing to the additionally required motor power (0.13 kW per m³ of compressed air) for a higher volume flow to compensate the pressure loss.
SL800R with structure-borne sound probe
- Early detection of wear at ball, roller or slide bearings
- Checking centrifugal pumps for cavitation
- Tightness tests of fittings
- Continuity testing or functional check of steam traps
This probe utilises structure-borne sound as bearer of inner states and processes. Hence, the device combination works like an electronic stethoscope.
SL800R with airborne sound probe
- Leak detection at exposed lines and pipes
- Proving the leakage-related loss at gas-filled supply networks also during operation
- Leak detection at high-pressure steam installations
- Localisation of cracks, poor weld seams or worn flange connections
- Leak detection at all accessible fittings and connecting elements where processes take place in a vacuum or at high pressure
A few practical benefits:
- Development, design, production: 100 % Trotec
- Simple detection of even the smallest leaks
- Pinpoint leak recognition by use of an efficient sound transducer technology
- Cost-effective leak detection at compressed air lines as well as at steam, gas and vacuum systems, boilers, liquid-bearing lines, valves, slides, steam traps
- Reliable early detection of damages at slide and roller bearings or other sounds indicating wear
- Airborne and structure-borne sound probe for various tasks
- Safe detection even in noisy surroundings thanks to high-quality, soundproof headphones
- Easy handling
- Extremely sound-insulated stereo headphones enable reliable location even in the presence of high ambient noise
- Extensive range of attachable airborne and structure-borne sound probes for a wide variety of applications
- Easy-to-read, backlit display with numerical and indicative measured value display
- Intuitive softkey operation with additional
- additional function for maximum value display