Get in the ‘groove’: With Trotec’s electric planers everything runs smoothly
Electric planers – which factors really matter
It is no coincidence that the planer is among the oldest tools and, up to the present day, is still used for wood processing by carpenters and joiners – and, of course, by DIY enthusiasts who appreciate the unbeatable benefits of a planing machine, for instance in rendering surfaces smooth and even, chamfering or rebating. Luckily, unlike previous generations, craftsmen can nowadays opt for the clearly superior electrical version. Being the contemporary evolution of the conventional planer, the electric planer helps you to accomplish tasks faster and more easily. Wood and planer – that simply belongs together. Just like power tools and Trotec.
Processing wood opens up countless opportunities to realize your creative potential and what is needed to attain perfect results is a powerful electric planer. You can use a high-quality planer to smoothen wood or to trim a workpiece and so add the finishing touches. In our how-to guide we present the different models, point out appropriate application purposes as well as useful tips for the safe and proper handling of an electric planer.
What is an electric planer for?
This tool is used for processing wood – but what exactly can you do with it? A planer is surprisingly versatile and deployed in numerous areas of wood working. Be it for chamfering edges, machining wooden surfaces flat or simply to reduce the material thickness. Thanks to the electric motor, very little physical strength is required to work with an electrical planer since most models are fitted with automatic contact pressure. Therefore, you just have to make sure that you position the device evenly on the wooden surface and then guide it gently. You can leave the rest to the device.
Functional principle of an electric planer
An electric planer consists of a planing body that houses an electric motor. The motor drives a roller to which blades are attached. The blades start moving at the push of a button and remove fine wood shavings until the desired result is achieved. The electric planer is guided by a knob located at the front of the device, it allows you to stay on track and to keep the powerful planer under control without having to exert much force.
Electric planers – technical characteristics and what to take into account for a well-conceived purchase decision
There are plenty of factors distinguishing a high-quality device from an average one – and we don’t mean the price! Before deciding on a type of electric planer, it is therefore important to take a closer look at the technical characteristics. These include:
- The power of the electric motor: It is decisive for the performance and efficiency of the electric planer. The power is indicated in watts. Logic dictates that the higher the wattage, the more powerful the electric motor. This is the only way to ensure the desired results in case of more elaborate work and particularly hard types of wood.
- The amount and quality of the blades: There are electric planers with one or more carbide blades. The harder and sharper they are, the more efficient will be the planer’s material removal. Most models make use of reversible blades. So when the blade begins to blunt, you can just turn it over and use the other side. Once this side is also blunt, replace the blade. Some models are already supplied with substitute blades, with others you need to buy replacements.
- The weight of the electric planer should also not be disregarded. Unfortunately, a particularly powerful motor also means a lot of weight. For convenient handling, though, a hand-held electric planer should not be too heavy, so you can still guide it precisely and without much effort.
- The cutting and rebating depth as well as the planing width: Logic dictates that the wider the planer, the larger the surface that can be processed at a given time. But the widest electric planer is not necessarily the wisest choice – especially if you want to work on windows, window frames or delicate pieces of wood, a planer with slim dimensions is definitely to be preferred. It should also be possible to adjust the cutting depth. This can be accomplished in two ways: steplessly or with fixed setting positions.
- The number of blades: There are electric planers with one or several blades. To achieve optimum results, planers with more blades should also have a higher motor power. Because – what good are more blades if the motor has not enough power to use them properly?
- Does the electric planer come with a connection option for a vacuum cleaner? That would ensure an especially clean working environment and leave your workshop free of chips and cuttings.
Application purposes for the electric planer
Now you know how the electric planer works and what aspects to observe before purchase – but what can you use it for? The fields of application are fairly widespread. The drawer on your antique, rustic hall cupboard can no longer be closed properly, because the wood warped somewhat? With the electric planer you can simply plane off material from the spot where the drawer gets caught – case closed.
You installed new flooring, but now the door scrapes across the floor? Simply unhinge the door and trim off as much as you need from the bottom to prevent further scratching and similar damage.
Whenever precise shutting and opening is of particular significance, the electric planer can quickly put things right!
What are aspects to be observed when working with the electric planer?
There a couple of tips and tricks that can help you make the most of your electric planer:
- Especially ensure a clean and properly illuminated working environment. That way you can focus on planing.
- Use suitable protective equipment to avoid injuries. Protective glasses, dust mask, ear protection, work gloves and suitable safety boots belong in every properly equipped workshop.
- Position the electric planer evenly on the wooden surface before switching the device on. If the planer makes contact only after it is already running, the results could be less satisfying.
- Do not apply any pressure on the electric planer. The planer’s contact pressure is already sufficient for removing material precisely. If you press down too hard, the planer might remove too much material and attain results you never wanted.
- Make sure that the blades of the planer are sharp at all times. Blunt blades affect the accuracy and can lead to rough spots on the wooden surface.
Trotec's cordless planer PPLS 10‑20V
The powerful 20 V 4 Ah cordless planer not only shines with a proud training speed of 12,000 min-1, but also with its mobile usability. The planer, which weighs only 2 kilos, is equipped with a parallel fence, double-sided chip ejection and external dust extraction. The 20 V 4 Ah Li-Ion battery is charged and ready for use in just 1 hour using the included quick charger with a 3-stage capacity display. The PPLS 10-20 is part of our large 20 V 4 Ah FlexPower multi-battery series.
The PPLS 10‑20V is a sophisticated cordless planer that’ll leave both DIY enthusiasts and professionals positively thrilled.
Trotec’s electric planer PPLS 10-750
With this powerful tool even demanding planing work can be accomplished comfortably and precisely. This is i.a. ensured by the 750 W electric motor and the two carbide blades. The symmetrical design renders the device suitable for use by right- and left-handers and the softgrip inlays enable convenient operation even for long-term applications. This electric planer comes equipped with an automatic lift-off device protecting both workpiece and blades during periods of non-use.
The PPLS 10‑750 is a sophisticated electric planer that’ll leave both DIY enthusiasts and professionals positively thrilled.
All Electric planers in direct comparison:
To find the Electric planer which exactly meets your requirements, please consult the concise overview of all Electric planers from Trotec, which we're providing to you here so that you can compare them directly to each other.
Models which you do not wish to include in your comparison can be easily dismissed with only one click.
Brand quality plus cost-efficiency
Until now, however, you basically only had two options when choosing an electric planer: either good but expensive, or mainly cheap.
Trotec’s PowerTools now offer a smart choice: good price, good product and good design – all in one.
HighPerformance in every respect, for we do not only stand for measuring devices and air conditioners, but also for power tools of brand quality: professional Trotec solutions with an excellent value-for-money ratio!